Tinos is famous amongst Greeks for the Church of Panagia Evangelistria, its 80 or so windmills, about 1000 artistic dovecotes,
50 active villages and its Venetian fortifications at the mountain, Exomvourgo.
On Tinos, both Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic populations co-exist, and the island is also well known for
its famous sculptors and painters, such as Nikolaos Gysis, Yannoulis Chalepas and Nikiforos Lytras.
The island is located near the geographical center of the Cyclades island complex, and because of the Panagia Evangelistria church, with its reputedly miraculous icon of Virgin Mary that it holds,
Tinos is also the center of a yearly pilgrimage that takes place on the date of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (15 August, "Dekapentavgoustos" in Greek).
This is perhaps the most notable and still active yearly pilgrimage in the region of the eastern Mediterranean.
Many pilgrims make their way the 800 metres (2,600 feet) from the ferry wharf to the church on their hands and knees as sign of devotion.
Following the capture of Constantinople by the Fourth Crusade,
Tinos was one of several islands ruled by private Venetian citizens and belonged to Andrea Ghisi,
whose heirs held it until 1390 when the last member of the family branch bequeathed both Tinos and Mykonos to Venice.
It was ruled by Venice until 1715, when Tinos was captured by the Ottoman Empire (see Ottoman–Venetian War),
and became known as İstendil.
The Ottomans held Tinos until 1821 when the inhabitants joined in the Greek War of Independence.